From: Lionel Bouton <lionel-dev@××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] CFLAGS paragraph for the GWN
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 22:40:29
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote the following on 03.10.2006 14:26 :
2 > On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 02:56:42 +0200 Lionel Bouton
3 > <lionel-dev@××××××.name> wrote:
4 > | Being able to tune the CFLAGS is part of one of the core principles of
5 > | Gentoo: let the user be in control.
6 >
7 > What? No it isn't.
10 Maybe it depends on what you mean by 'in control'. What I mean is that
11 you have a good stable base from which to work on, but nothing prevents
12 you to tweak things like you want: Gentoo doesn't get in your way.
13 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml mentions "Extreme
14 Configurabiliy" and the main picture states "Larry the Cow was in
15 control. And he liked it.".
16
18 > | break many packages changing with the actual gcc version)</li>
19 >
20 > Uh, -ffast-math has never been and will never be a safe thing to stick
21 > in CFLAGS.
24 I agree (how could I say otherwise after spending several days with a
25 hole in my foot finally finding that I had a gun named fast-math in my
26 hand :-) ).
27 Apparently many developpers think that it might be in CFLAGS though (see
28 the amount of 'filter-flags -ffast-math' in ebuilds) so a reminder might
29 not be wasted for some users.
32 > | Users with unsupported CFLAGS (see the <uri
33 > | link='http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS_matrix'>CFLAGS matrix</uri> for
34 > | example) might want to return to safe CFLAGS (see <uri
35 > | link='http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags'>Safe CFLAGS</uri>) if recent
36 > | updates caused them stability problems. On the other hand, more
37 > | adventurous users might want to experiment with CFLAGS that didn't
38 > | work properly with gcc-3.4.6... As always, the user is in control.
39 >
40 > Linking to that is a very bad idea. The wiki is in control of the
41 > minority ricer fringe.
45 Ok. Anyway I'm now convinced that a dev-proofed version of its content
46 in the GWN would be far better.
47
48 > GWN shouldn't be advocating this kind of thing at all. Here's a better
49 > paragraph:
50 >
51 > <p>We would like to remind you that using anything beyond -O2
52 > -fomit-frame-pointer -march/-mcpu/-mtune in CFLAGS or CXXLFAGS (and
53 > -mieee, -mabi etc on selected archs that tell you to do this), and using
54 > anything at all in LDFLAGS or ASFLAGS, is pointless and will lead to a
55 > broken system. Your penis length is not proportional to the size of your
56 > CFLAGS.</p>
60 Hum, I'll leave out the last sentence or rephrase it... I'd prefer to be
61 more soft-spoken: pointless might be a little too much too. Let's say
62 that the cost-risk/benefit ratio is not worth it for the vast majority
63 of users. CFLAGS tuning should probably only be used by people with very
64 specific needs (gcc devs/testers, HPTC people with extensive
65 knowledge/experience of the problems involved). For LDFLAGS and ASFLAGS
66 I'll take your word for it (I never even tried modifying them myself).
67
68 Lionel.
69 --
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list