From: (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] odds and ends
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:00:15
drobbins@g.o wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:10:38AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote: > > > Hmm, maybe we should introduce a new USE flag to trigger build of packages with only > > the really neccesary stuff. > > I think an easier way would be to create a "sys-strip" script which would do things like: > > rm -rf /usr/doc > rm -rf /usr/info, > etc.
Hmm, I would use this flag for things like build glibc without support for all locales, building ncurses without c++ extension and without static libs, remove unneccesary binaries from util-linux... But this is a post 1.0 idea and it could be combined with linking agains dietlibc or possibly a shared dietlibc.
> > > I don't think many people will need this functionality, and I'd rather not > complicate our existing ebuilds just to allow the creation of a 100Mb Gentoo > Linux system. I just bought a 45Gb IBM hard drive for about $130 about a month > ago... and there are plenty of used 2-6Gb drives that people are willing to > give away these days.
True but linux helps us protecting our enviroment by reducing the amount of pc-scrap. :-) My 486SX/25 system is still fast enogh for my DSL internet connection and running qmail. (squid was terribly slow :-) )
> > > I think reducing the footprint of Gentoo Linux *may* become a priority if we > can link some things to a minimal libc, reducing the executable footprint and > allowing more code to reside in the CPU cache. This is a performance issue > rather than a pure storage issue, however. I'd be supportive of a special USE > variable to enable a tiny libc. :)
Take a look at this