From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP for Deltup package update system
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:43:45
1 On Tuesday 29 July 2003 18:45, John Whitney wrote:
2 > The space requirements are dynamic - they can be scaled to any level
3 > desired. We don't need patches for every package. This is accomplished by
4 > knowing which patches are available before trying to download them. You
5 > can provide a significant number of patches with just 100MB of space. Take
6 > a look at my demo repository: ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/deltup/patchfiles.
7 > All these patches take under 50MB and are still not fully optimized (newer
8 > patches will be about 33% more efficient). It'd be great to start out with
9 > patches for kernel, kde, gnome, gcc, mozilla, and some other big and
10 > necessary packages. Remember, there are a lot of dial-up users out there
11 > (some with only one phone line! :O :) ) A quota based system would be
12 > fine...
13
14 You also might want to use download figures from a used mirror (not the
15 failsafe that is last in the list) to see which patches are actually wanted
16 by the userbase. If no-one downloads a certain patch that would signal the
17 time has come to remove it.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze