From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Rotating oversized ChangeLog files (was: Old changelogs / eclass dir)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 00:35:11
1 Dear all,
2
3 > 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size
4 > (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog) the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log
5 > logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a new
6 > file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and
7 > will never be retransmitted by rsync.
8
9 to prevent that this becomes a victim of general ChangeLog bikeshedding (we
10 must rotate at a logical point, how could it be automatized even if it is
11 relevant for only a few files, then how do we prevent epmty files...) I
12 suggest the following procedure:
13
14 In a week's time I personally, manually, will "rotate" all ChangeLog files
15 larger than 100k in the tree, by splitting them at 31/12/2010-1/1/2011.
16 The old entries file will in each case be named ChangeLog-2010 in the same
17 directory. (PMS: "A package directory may contain other files or directories,
18 whose purpose is not covered by this specification.")
19
20 The "old entries" file ChangeLog-2010 will be identical to the current
21 ChangeLog file except for skipping at the start all entries added later than
22 31/12/2010.
23 The new ChangeLog file will be identical to the current ChangeLog file except
24 for being truncated at 1/1/2011.
25
26 I currently count 19 relevant files. If we keep the 100k limit and rotate
27 yearly, this will be doable by hand in the foreseeable future and any attempt
28 at automating is a complete waste of time.
29
30 Opinions, flames, ...?
31
32 Cheers,
33 Andreas
34
35 PS.
36 774821 profiles/ChangeLog
37 166798 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/ChangeLog
38 145004 sys-devel/gcc/ChangeLog
39 141505 sys-libs/glibc/ChangeLog
40 141397 media-video/mplayer/ChangeLog
41 133790 kde-base/kdelibs/ChangeLog
42 133257 www-client/firefox/ChangeLog
43 131385 x11-base/xorg-server/ChangeLog
44 130355 x11-base/xorg-x11/ChangeLog
45 124531 www-client/opera/ChangeLog
46 123722 sys-fs/udev/ChangeLog
47 115914 www-servers/apache/ChangeLog
48 112672 dev-db/mysql/ChangeLog
49 110957 media-video/vlc/ChangeLog
50 107961 sys-apps/baselayout/ChangeLog
51 107492 sys-kernel/git-sources/ChangeLog
52 105182 sys-kernel/hardened-sources/ChangeLog
53 104646 www-client/chromium/ChangeLog
54 100383 sys-kernel/vanilla-sources/ChangeLog
58 Andreas K. Huettel
59 Gentoo Linux developer
60 dilfridge@g.o
61 http://www.akhuettel.de/