From: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:51:08
1 > The day that Gentoo *forces* me to use a kernel auto-magically
2 > configured and compiled for me through an 'emerge' is the day that
3 > Gentoo joins my RedHat CDs in the bin.
4 >
5 > Just because I'm emerged any particular set of kernel sources does
6 > *not* mean that a) I want that kernel adding to lilo/grub yet, and b)
7 > that my box has everything else in place to boot and run that kernel.
8 >
9 > It's not broken, so please don't try to fix it.
10 >
11 > Why can't this just be left alone?!?
12
13 I totally agree!
14
15 I've always thought of genkernel as a tool for those not "competent"
16 enough to compile the kernel by them selves... As such I don't think it
17 should be something that is used by default but rather something that
18 gets mentioned in the install-docs, and not forced on users.
19
20 Patrick Börjesson
23 Public key id: 4C5AB0BF
24 Public key available at search.keyserver.net[:11371]