From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Deps on slotted executables (implicit @system tangent)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:08:38
1 On 11/13/2014 10:17 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2
3 >> Isn't it possible to disable C++ in GCC with USE="-cxx"?
4 >
5 > It is.. but unfortunately there's no way in DEPEND to ensure it's
6 > satisfied, as you can have a gcc installed with that flag enabled but
7 > have a second one (that's actually selected in gcc-config) with it
8 > disabled. A pkg_pretend check or a pkg_setup check (if you don't want
9 > it to just fail in src_configure) is probably the best way to enforce
10 > that one at this time. Unless there are other ways I'm not aware of??
11
12 Is this a case (as was recently suggested) where we're doing something
13 stupid rather than asking for help from the PMS? This problem shows up
14 in a few places -- off the top of my head:
15
16 * GCC (see sys-apps/systemd-217.ebuild)
17 * PHP (see comment in app-text/XML-Schema-learner-1.0.0.ebuild)
18 * Python (all over the place)
19 * Ruby (all over the place)
20
21 Since all of the above are slotted, we can DEPEND on them, but we can't
22 actually be sure that we're using the right slot at build time. The
23 package manager knows that the right version is there, but it's not at
24 the moment prepared to find and use it.
25
26 Question 1: is it desirable to e.g. switch compilers, compile systemd,
27 and then switch back? At first I thought the PM should respect my
28 selected compiler, but after thinking about it for a few minutes, I've
29 changed my mind. The compiler deps are just like anything else: if I ask
30 portage to install systemd, it should do what it takes to install
31 systemd assuming I approve the build plan.
32
33 Question2: Is it technically possible to fix this in a new EAPI? I have
34 no idea.