From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-free software in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:45:01
1 On 12/29/2009 07:52 PM, Greg KH wrote:
2 > No, the readme/copying is correct, it covers all of the code that runs
3 > on the processor as one body of work. Firmware blobs are different in
4 > that they do not run in the same processor, and can be of a different
5 > license.
8 Yes, but they don't cover everything in the tarball. If I want to copy
9 the tarball, then I need to comply with the distribution license of the
10 tarball. That license isn't clearly advertised. It is a mix of a
11 number of licenses from GPL v2 to allowed-to-copy-without-modifications.
12
13 The processor that the software runs on is fairly irrelevant.
14
15 In any case, I'm sure the kernel team will update the ebuild license
16 string appropriately - this is more of a debate for the LKML. I just
17 don't think that they've done a good job with it. Others are welcome to
18 hold differing opinions. :)