From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Moving more arches to dev profiles
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:05:29
1 Hi,
2
3 It's time of year again to consider moving a few arches to dev-only status.
4
5 I propose the following arches to lose their stable keywords
6
7 - s390
8 - sh
9 - ia64
10 - alpha
11 - m68k
12 - sparc
13
14 The manpower on these arches is below acceptable levels and they often
15 block stabilizations
16 for many months. This also causes troubles to developers trying to get
17 rid of old versions of
18 packages.
19
20 I am CC'ing Mike and on this to draw his attention since he seems to
21 be doing stabilizations and
22 keywording on a few of them. Moreover, Agostino is also doing a lot of
23 work on these arches.
24 Consider what will happen if he ever goes MIA or decides to retire ;)
25 We will probably end up
26 with a pile of stabilization bugs like the good old days.
27
28 In my opinion, having these arches be ~arch only, will improve the
29 overall user experience
30 since the arch teams will only have to test a single tree. It will
31 also help developers get rid of
32 old ebuilds and keep the portage tree healthy and reasonably updated.
33
34 If I get enough positive feedback on this, I will propose this in the
35 next Council's agenda.
38 Regards,
39 Markos Chandras - Gentoo Linux Developer
40 http://dev.gentoo.org/~hwoarang