From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Make logrotate a global USE flag?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:49:01
1 On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:58:52 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
2 <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
3 | Marcelo Góes wrote:
4 | > Indeed, logrotate functionality should be optional. Ebuilds that
5 | > install logrotate stuff without asking should be updated to use the
6 | > logrotate USE flag.
7 | >
8 | > I'm making it a global USE flag if nobody complains.
9 |
10 | You want people to recompile the whole package to get another text
11 | file installed?
12 |
13 | People who don't want it can set INSTALL_MASK. It should be installed
14 | by default and not switchable with a USE flag.
15
16 We already had this discussion. It's not that it's another file, it's
17 that it's another file in /etc, which is backed up and requires
18 administrator attention on every upgrade. Packages shouldn't stick
19 stuff in /etc on a whim.
22 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (King of all Londinium)
23 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
24 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm