From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: lame use flag, local to global
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:35:35
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> posted 470CD9B5.3000706@g.o,
4 > excerpted below, on Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:55:01 -0600:
5 >
6 >> The reason we have mp3 and lame use flag is because there is more than
7 >> one mp3 encoder. In almost every case of the use flag being applied
8 >> above, there is already support for another mp3 codec (ffmpeg). So,
9 >> lame adds support for lame, not for mp3, which is also provided.
10 >
11 > In that case, shouldn't the description mention that? Something like:
12 >
13 > MP3 encoding support using LAME (as opposed to ffmpeg)
14 >
15 What about when the next one gets added-- would it need to say "as opposed
16 to ffmpeg or lame"?
17
18 I agree where there's a choice, the ebuild should offer lame or ffmpeg or
19 w/e, and where not simply mp3 (along with the encode/decode being
20 orthogonal.)
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list