From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:58:51
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
2 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Better than many other package managers isn't exactly a glowing
4 > > commendation. When you consider the disadvantages associated with a
5 > > source-based distribution, Gentoo has to do a lot better than that
6 > > in order to be worthwhile -- and it only takes one package manager
7 > > to be better to make Gentoo not worth using. The goal should be
8 > > "substantially better than any other package manager"...
11 > Quoting our Philosophy Page:
12 >
13 > 'The goal of Gentoo is to strive to create near-ideal tools. Tools
14 > that can accommodate the needs of many different users all with
15 > divergent goals. Don't you love it when you find a tool that does
16 > exactly what you want to do? Doesn't it feel great? Our mission is to
17 > give that sensation to as many people as possible.'
18
19 Ah, you're confusing goals with goals.
20
21 > I am unaware of any other goals currently present within Gentoo. I
22 > would imagine people have goals, projects have goals; but gentoo has
23 > none other that the one above. Now you can make the point that
24 > portage is not a 'near-ideal tool' and I'd agree for a large number
25 > of use cases; but at least you'd be making a point against something
26 > thats actually a goal for us instead of some made up goal like
27 > 'compete against Ubuntu/Fedora'.
28
29 If Ubuntu or Fedora do the job better then Gentoo has failed in its
30 goal of providing a near-ideal tool...
31
32 > That said; people are working on it. You have been hearing that for
33 > years I know; most of that effort honestly became pkgcore (more or
34 > less). I'm not about to say 'just give portage more time' because
35 > that is a stupid statement to make. However I seriously doubt
36 > paludis or pkgcore is ready to take over management for our users.
37
38 Mm, and I don't think anyone's making that claim (not until Paludis
39 reaches 1.0.0_pre, anyway, which is at least three major releases
40 off...). The claim that is being made is that Gentoo's future depends
41 upon one or both being ready to take over, and that it's not something
42 that can continue being treated as "sometime in the distant future".
45 Ciaran McCreesh