From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preserve_old_lib and I'm even more lazy
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:03:42
1 On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > If you have proper backups, you should be able to destroy the pool,
3 > make a new one and restore the backup. If you do not have backups,
4 > then I think there are more important things to consider than your
5 > ability to do this without them.
6
7 I wouldn't have pointed it out if the solution were this simple in my
8 case. Not everything is worth backing up - I'd rather take a 2%
9 chance of losing everything but maybe the 0.1% of my storage that I
10 back up, than wipe the drive and have a 100% chance of losing
11 everything but the 0.1% of my storage that I back up. My data isn't
12 worth the cost of a proper backup solution, but it isn't worthless
13 either so if I can have my cake and eat it too so much the better.
14
15 That said, it is true that reshaping often isn't practical for other
16 reasons, such as having 4 1TB drives, and by the time you want to add
17 another one the best price point is on 500TB drives.
18
19 Thanks for your comments just the same - they are informative. My
20 licensing concern is more of wanting to promote GPL software than
21 being compliant, so FreeBSD isn't much of a help. You may be right
22 about Oracle wanting to keep btrfs for the low end, although where
23 they are already aiming is already high enough for me, and once btrfs
24 becomes mainstream nobody is really going to be able to hold it back -
25 it isn't like Oracle actually has any control over it beyond
26 contributing the most code.
27
28 Rich