From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 12:26:24
1 On 4/10/16 7:55 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 04/04/2016 21:19, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> I thought that since the usr merge is coming up again, and since I lost
6 >> track of the message where it was brought up, I would open a
7 >> new thread to discuss it.
8
9 Why is this coming up? What problem(s) are we trying to solve with the
10 usr merge. I'm still not clear on this.
11
12 @William can you please answer this?
15 >> When it came up before, some were saying that the /usr merge violates
16 >> the fhs. I don't remember the specifics of what the claim was at the
17 >> time, (I'm sure someone will point it out if it is still a concern).
18 >>
19 >> I don't think creating usr merged stages would be that difficult. I
20 >> think it would just be a matter of creating a new version of baselayout
21 >> that puts these symlinks in place:
22
23 If you give me a prototype baselayout (or I can write one myself but I'd
24 rather see what you have in mind) I could test some catalyst runs and
25 see. I could put these on the /experimental for others to look at.
28 >> /bin->usr/bin
29 >> /lib->usr/lib
30 >> /lib32->usr/lib32
31 >> /lib64->usr/lib64
32 >> /sbin->usr/bin
33 >> /usr/sbin->bin
34 >>
35 >> Once that is in place in a new baselayout, I think portage's colission
36 >> detection would be able to catch files that had the same names and were
37 >> originally in different paths when building the new stages.
38 >>
39 >> I put some thought also in how to nigrate live systems, and I'm not sure
40 >> what the best way to do that is. I wrote a script, which would do it in
41 >> theory, but I haven't tested because I only have one system and if
42 >> it breaks it the only way back would be to reinstall.
43 >>
44 >> The script is attached.
47 >> Thoughts on any of this?
48 >>
49 >> William
50 >
51 > I looked at Thunderbird, at my folder labeled "gentoo-dev", and it had "666"
52 > unread messages. I should've done the smart thing and closed my mail program.
53 > But noooo, I had to look inside the folder. I am now regretting this decision.
54
55 Did you round off to the nearest evil?
58 > *sigh*, I can see the thread has gone clongie 'round the blonger, so all I'll
59 > have to say is we should still try to maintain the choice for users. But, in
60 > order to evaluate what amount of effort is needed to maintain that choice, we
61 > need to know what packages break on such a setup, what the level of effort
62 > needed to fix them is, and do those fixes impact the non-split crowd.
63
64 I tested and it will affect systems using RBAC. So if we force people
65 to migrate, then users of hardened-sources using RBAC will have to
66 update their policy file.
67
68 To be clear, I'm not against moving forwards with this, but we can't
69 these people hanging because hardened-sources+RBAC is one reason people
70 in the industry consider gentoo at all. I'm willing to help with
71 backwards compat.
74 > Create like, a table on the Wiki or some kind of metadata property per-package
75 > that can contain a boolean or tri-state flag indicating whether it works or
76 > doesn't work (or kinda works) on split-usr. Or a tracker on Bugzie. Something.
77
78 +1
81 > Once we know this, then we can work out what's the minimum system that can be
82 > successfully run on split-usr. Then, knowing *that*, we can see if that system
83 > can be supported by our @system target or some minimal subset of @world. As
84 > new package versions come out of upstream, we update this metadata with changes
85 > to the split-usr status, and this then provides a history of the more or less
86 > amount of difficulty needed to maintain support for split-usr, and *then*, we
87 > can make an objective decision to continue supporting or not supporting the
88 > capability.
89 >
90 > As for me, I am flat out ruling out a full-reinstall of all my systems. I have
91 > fixed disk partition layouts on all of them that cannot be re-arranged unless I
92 > tar up each filesystem and temporarily move it off, then rebuild the MD-RAID
93 > and reformat the filesystems. I am simply not going to do that on my many SGI
94 > systems, and whatever facet of upstream, whether it's some core GNU package or
95 > RH itself, can go pound sand for all I care. I'll go back to a static /dev and
96 > I'll manually mknod any missing devices if I have to.
97
98 Not just you, but many sys admins out there in the real world are in
99 similar situation. Again we can move forward on this but not without
100 backwards compat planning.
103 > You know it's getting ridiculous when you can maintain a Windows/NTFS partition
104 > layout easier than a Linux one.
107 Has it come to that?
111 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
112 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
113 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
114 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
115 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA