From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:23:58
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:29 AM, Jory A. Pratt <anarchy@g.o> wrote:
2 > This is a mess, many systems are setup with portage already on a
3 > seperate partition for reasons. What advantage does it provide to move
4 > the tree now after all these years? I have seen nothing more then lets
5 > do this cause I like the ideal lately and it is getting old, there is no
6 > benefit that would justify moving the tree or many other changes that
7 > are being made in Gentoo lately.
8
9 1. If you're able to mount /usr/portage from another filesystem, why
10 would you think it wouldn't work in with /var/cache/portage?
11 1a. If your system is already installed, why do you think this even
12 affects you? Did you read?
13 2. Pretty sure following FHS more closely is something most people
14 would see as a benefit.