From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 06:16:57
1 On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 23:56, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Saturday 04 October 2003 02:25 am, Jon Portnoy wrote:
6 > > You're not suggesting anything that provides a tangible benefit, you're
7 > > just suggesting expanding our tree to do something we already do. That
8 > > doesn't make sense.
9 >
10 > As it is currently done, Portage cannot track the kernel itself, only the
11 > kernel sources. Also, it leaves the kernel in /usr/src/linux when it isn't
12 > really needed once installed except perhaps to save configuration (which
13 > genkernel has stuff for) and object files to speed future compilations (which
14 > Portage should do if you keep /var/tmp/portage around anyway).
15 > It makes little sense to compile and install other packages but not compile
16 > and install Linux itself.
17 > - --
18
19 And all the kernel module ebuilds.