From: Jason Zaman <jason@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regarding the State of PaX in the tree
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:16:36
1 On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 07:53:07PM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
2 > On 04/16/2018 11:14 AM, Hanno Böck wrote:
3 > > There's also another question related to this: What's the future for
4 > > Gentoo hardened?
5 > > From what I can tell hardened consists of:
6 > > * the things that try to make it compatible with grsec/pax
7 > > (more or less obsolete).
8 > > * things that are now in default profiles anyway (aslr, stack
9 > > protector).
10 > > * things that probably should be in default profiles (relro, now linker
11 > > flags)
12 > > * -fstack-check, which should eventually be replaced with
13 > > -fstack-clash-protection (only available in future gcc's) and that
14 > > should probably also go into default profiles.
15 > > * Furthermore hardened disables some useful features due to their
16 > > incompatibility with pax (e.g. sanitizers).
17 >
18 > Which let me wonder, what I would lose today by a switch from
19 > 17.0-hardened + USE-flags to 17.0/desktop/plasma at my KDE desktop?
20
21 Right now, the main things you'd lose are bindnow and
22 fstack-protector-all vs fstack-protector-strong i think. But in the
23 future as new hardening stuff is added to the toolchains they will
24 likely be enabled in hardened before default too.
25
26 -- Jason
27 >
28 > --