From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My wishlist for EAPI 5
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 13:20:50
1 On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:13:50 -0500
2 Homer Parker <hparker@g.o> wrote:
3 > > And what did Gentoo get out of it?
4 > >
5 > > What I remember is Gentoo putting in lots of work randomly changing
6 > > things until things worked, and ending up not knowing what most of
7 > > those changes were or why they were done. The end result is that
8 > > there's still a random smattering of multilib-related mess
9 > > cluttering up ebuild internals that doesn't actually do anything
10 > > except cause intermittent breakages. Doing experiments is great as
11 > > a way of understanding the problem, but it isn't how you deliver a
12 > > solution. That takes a lot more work, and someone has to be
13 > > prepared to do it.
14 >
15 > The hell? Other distos where still thinking of how to
16 > implement multilib and we had it. I know first hand as I trashed a
17 > system trying out the latest-n-greatest.. And the next round fixed
18 > it. The -emul packages from then on along with the multilib profiles
19 > have worked fine.
20
21 ...so why are people running around demanding that reinventing multilib
22 is the number one priority and has to be in EAPI 5 immediately then? I
23 was under the impression that your fellow developers don't consider the
24 -emul packages to be an adequate solution. If that isn't the case, and
25 the existing mechanism is in fact fine as you claim, then great, we can
26 ignore multilib from an EAPI perspective.
27
28 I can only go on what your colleagues are claiming here. I suggest if
29 you're upset at the suggestion that Gentoo doesn't have a decent
30 multilib implementation then you take it up with all the people who are
31 demanding the PMS team provide them with one.
34 Ciaran McCreesh