From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:51:00
1 On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:16:25 -0700
4 > "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 >> So assuming the council says we should fix all these issues (and in
6 >> most cases I would support that assertion)
7 >> who would fix them? The maintainer is obviously hostile and I doubt
8 >> the council is going to *force* them to accept said
9 >> patches. Is QA going to fix these bugs?
10 >
11 > If PMS has official standing, the maintainer will.
14 I'm a maintainer and I'll say right out that I won't fix things unless
15 they make sense to me; regardless of what some council says. That
16 being said if people provide patches and/or commit said patches; more
17 power to them. My point still stands that you cannot force these
18 maintainers who disagree with a change to suddenly make them; you
19 either need to convince them that the changes are correct and proper
20 or you need to find another willing group to make said changes.
21
22 >> > Also, some developers seem quite happy making changes to Portage
23 >> > that break existing packages that rely upon behaviour as defined by
24 >> > PMS, under the assertion that "PMS is too much like a rulebook"...
25 >>
26 >> Also some developers seem quite happy making changes to PMS that break
27 >> existing packages
28 >> that rely upon behavior as defined by Portage; under the assertion
29 >> that "Portage is a broken/buggy piece of software"
30 >
31 > Only in cases where Portage's behaviour is unspecifiable.
32 >
33 >> That being said you are free to chat to Zac about the changes; I doubt
34 >> you can compel him to comply with PMS
35 >> 100% unless this is driven by developers themselves. He (not unlike
36 >> me) is kind of a pragmatic fellow.
37 >
38 > Please explain how deliberately and knowingly breaking existing ebuilds
39 > without bothering to work out the consequences, and refusing to fix it
40 > with the hope that no-one will notice is pragmatic.
41 >
42 > --
43 > Ciaran McCreesh