From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:57:40
1 On 11/18/2012 2:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Peter Stuge posted on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:00:59 +0100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> Forget about the loader. Your knob is in a different configuration,
5 >> specifically CONFIG_MODULES=n in the kernel.
6 >
7 > Just to note now that the specific topic has come up, yes, I am aware of
8 > and have that kernel option set to disable module loading. I was simply
9 > focusing on userland side, and thus didn't believe the kernel option
10 > apropos to that specific discussion. Still, just having a module loading
11 > userland on the system doesn't /increase/ security, and in fact, it
12 > slightly decreases it, on a system where a deliberate choice has been
13 > made to turn kernel module loading functionality off.
14
15 Pointing out as a general statement, and not in response to anyone in
16 particular, while I, too, am in the camp of minimalistic userlands, there is
17 a kind of threshold one hits in this regard where keeping or removing
18 something like a couple of module-loading utilities or systemd text files
19 around really isn't going to increase or decrease your security /by that
20 much/. </run-on-sentence>
21
22 I mean, if someone gains unauthorized access to the userland and somehow
23 uses these unused components to launch an attack, successful or not, well,
24 then there's a LOT of bigger problems to worry about. The goal of security
25 isn't to prevent someone from gaining unauthorized access to a system, it's
26 to deter them or otherwise make the effort required more than the potential
27 gain.
28
29 Design network firewalls well, audit the user accounts and review logs
30 periodically, enabled hardened options, use PaX/grsec/selinux, deploy an
31 IDS/IPS and a SEIM, etc...there's a lot of other things one can do that will
32 have a bigger ROI on security than gutting module-loading tools or systemd
33 scripts off of a system. Do I like them there? Not really (unless I'm
34 developing a kernel driver, then modules come in handy). But it is what it is.
37 Joshua Kinard
38 Gentoo/MIPS
39 kumba@g.o
40 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
41
42 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
43 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
44
45 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic