From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Alec Berryman <alec@×××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Summary: Install CD Bloat thread
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:11:36
1 Hi Alec,
2
3 First off - great summary!
4
5 On Friday 22 August 2003 1:08 am, Alec Berryman wrote:
6 > Install CD Bloat Thread Summary:
7
8 [ snip ]
9
10 > Another culprit for the increase was the inclusion of Perl 5. No one
11 > could figure out a good reason for it to be on there.
12
13 pptpclient requires it.
14
15 There are a number of packages that pull in Perl 5 during the process of
16 creating the CD image, but pptpclient is the only package that survives
17 through to the actual CD image that genuinely needs Perl 5. See the
18 attachment for all the gory details.
19
20 The only way to leave Perl 5 off the CD is to drop pptpclient. I couldn't
21 find any alternative on Freshmeat, and I suspect that many people who install
22 Gentoo Linux have ISPs who use PPTP.
23
24 Best regards,
25 Stu
26 --
27 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
28 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
29 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
30 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
31
32 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
33 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C

livecd-perl5.txt text/plain