From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:30:11
1 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > I was wondering what is keeping us from releasing a minimal install cd more often than we do now.
3 > Isn't almost everything needed for it already in the stable tree and thus tested? And if so isn't
4 > it possible to fully automate generation of these cd's?
5
6 Time and sanity. Sure, it can be built pretty quickly, but there's a bit of
7 testing that needs to go into it before it can be released to the mirrors.
8 Release time is hectic enough, and you want us (releng) to do it more often than
9 bi-annually?
10
11 Also, what's the point? Everything you use to install from the minimal is
12 fetched from the internet. The only thing that an updated minimal would give us
13 is a slightly more hardware support during the install.
16 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
17 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
18 --
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list