From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:06:45
1 Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-11-05 at 13:19 -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
3 > > Olivier Crête wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, 2007-11-05 at 12:12 -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
5 > > > > Josh Saddler wrote:
6 > > > > > Jim Ramsay wrote:
7 > > > > > > I suppose I could also propose:
8 > > > > > >
9 > > > > > > 4) netscape-flash just RDEPENDS on libflashsupport all the
10 > > > > > > time. It's certainly not a large library to be added on.
11 > > > > > >
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > That is a terrible idea. Don't make it "depend" on something
14 > > > > > that it clearly does *not* depend on. Flash works just fine
15 > > > > > without the optional add-ons, and those are *definitely*
16 > > > > > optional. I've never needed libflashsupport and would prefer
17 > > > > > not seeing useless cruft attached to a perfectly working
18 > > > > > Flash installation.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > Point taken - If you don't want the extra features you don't
21 > > > > want libflashsupport at all.
22 > > > >
23 > > > > I could make it so that if all of the USE flags for
24 > > > > libflashsupport are turned off it doesn't actually install the
25 > > > > library at all, just gets added to the list of installed
26 > > > > packages.
27 > > > >
28 > > > > > If you're going to add it to USE, then make sure it's *not*
29 > > > > > on by default, thanks.
30 > > > >
31 > > > > This way it will adhere to your current set of global USE
32 > > > > flags. If you have pulseaudio, esd, oss, ssl, or gnutls on
33 > > > > globally, it will install libflashsupport with the appropriate
34 > > > > hooks in it. If they are all off (either globally or
35 > > > > specifically for libflashsupport) you will just get the same
36 > > > > old netscape-flash with no add-ons.
37 > > > >
38 > > > > Is this a worthy compromise?
39 > > >
40 > > > This seems even worse.. I think either having one local use flag
41 > > > in netscape-flash is probably the best solution.. The second best
42 > > > is to have all of the use flags and RDEPEND on flash-support if
43 > > > any is enabled.
44 > >
45 > > Can you explain what you mean by "even worse"? I think my latest
46 > > solution is more correct than any of the others yet proposed. In
47 > > fact, here's another small improvement on it:
48 > >
49 > > Have netscape-flash with IUSE="vanilla" (by default it is off),
50 > > which when enabled will not pull in libflashsupport.
51 >
52 > flashsupport should be disabled by default. I still think you should
53 > add a positive use flag to netscape-flash (call it flashsupport or or
54 > a combination of esd/ssl/gnutls/etc).
55
56 I disagree with you here. I believe it should be installed by default
57 because it would then install by default any optional features that
58 a user has enabled in his/her global USE flags. Which I argue is the
59 expected outcome of installing any package.
60
61 I guess I still don't see what the benefit would be of having it
62 disabled by default - It would just be making more work for users who
63 want the added features. If you have a compelling argument for your
64 side that I'm not seeing, please let me know what it is.
65
66 > > This meets the following goals:
67 > >
68 > > 1) It makes it easy for "regular" users to get netscape-flash with
69 > > any additions required by any global USE flags in exactly one step:
70 > > - emerge netscape-flash
71 > > This is my #1 goal, otherwise I'd just have 'libflashsupport' as its
72 > > own separate package and those "in the know" would install it
73 > > separately if they want any of the extra features. But users should
74 > > not have to have special knowledge to get the features they have
75 > > already enabled in their global USE flags.
76 > >
77 > > 2) It makes it easy for "power" users to not have libflashsupport
78 > > actually install anything by disabling all the USE flags. This will
79 > > take 3 steps:
80 > > - Notice at upgrade or install time that there's this new 'extra'
81 > > package being installed
82 > > - Enable the 'vanilla' flag for netscape-flash
83 > > - Continue with upgrade or install
84 > >
85 > > Also, having all of the ssl/gnutls/pulseaudio/esd/oss flags turned
86 > > off for libflashsupport will have the effect of not actually
87 > > installing the library, so the only added cost there is one more
88 > > entry in the list of installed packages, which I hope you will
89 > > agree is basically zero.
90 >
91 > Installing a package without really installing it is EVIL. The db
92 > should represent whats installed on the system, otherwise it will
93 > become very very confusion for users.
94
95 Well, I was actually going to have it install a single README file
96 explaining why the package didn't install very much. I could of
97 course leave in the 'libflashsupport.so' library that would basically do
98 nothing... Really, this is just a shortcut so that if you don't want any
99 of the features libflashsupport provides you will not have the small
100 overhead of having the plugin load libflashsupport.so when it starts up.
101
102 For added information, here is what I understand happens when you load
103 the existing Adobe flash plugin:
104
105 - Check for a plugin called /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so
106 - If found, load it, and use any of the functions provided there to
107 support alternate audio, video, or ssl features.
108 - If not found, carry on and use the default set of features: ALSA
109 sound output and no SSL support.
110
111 So the possibilities for people not wanting the added features are:
112 - Have no such file called /usr/lib/libflashsupport.so
113 - Have this library, but do not have it supply any functions. I think
114 this is less desirable than just not installing libflashsupport.so
117 Jim Ramsay
118 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)