From: Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 02:52:45
1 On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 20:07 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 23 August 2006 16:30, Luis Medinas wrote:
3 > > So i'm asking for a solution either remove xmms, move the maintainer for
4 > > anyone who volunteer or the sound herd.
5 >
6 > no one has answered the previous problems ... xmms is the only audioplayer
7 > that actually works on some platforms ...
8 >
9 Most of the gstreamer audio players works just like xine-lib based.
10
11 > plus, has the audacious/gcc-4.1 issues been worked out ?
12 >
13 > > My plans now is replace xmms for xmms2 (that i would like to take the
14 > > maintainership). Opinions ? Ideas ?
15 >
16 > even if you were to do that right now, xmms2 isnt even close to being ready to
17 > replace xmms
18
19 Yes you are right but atm xmms is obsolete and there is place for
20 another player. Xmms2 is a good player that needs of course ages of
21 development to be able to be like xmms.
22 Neither i or sound herd want to maintain xmms anymore. If there is
23 anyone that will take it we won't mind. But we won't waste more time on
24 a player that is obsolete with a dead upstream. So we would like to move
25 xmms to overlays.gentoo.org soon with another maintainer to take care of
26 it.
29 Gentoo Linux Developer
30 http://dev.gentoo.org/~metalgod
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list