From: Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] SRC_URI behaviour
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:13:09
1 2013/6/16 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>:
2 > How about it we add a src_fetch phase, so that the VCS intricacies can be
3 > delegated to ebuilds/eclasses (like they are now, but without having to
4 > abuse src_unpack). If we include a way for src_fetch to communicate changes
5 > in VCS revisions to the package manager, then we'll be able to integrate
6 > functionality like smart-live-rebuild directly into the package manager (as
7 > discussed in bug 182028 [1]).
8
9 As a side note from a developer of an app that keeps various loosely
10 coupled modules in one repo — it'd be great if there would be a way to
11 also tell whether the changed revision actually affects the given
12 package. The default, of course, should be to assume that every change
13 in the repo affects a given package, but when it can be proved that
14 package doesn't need to be rebuilt — why bother rebuilding it? Of
15 course, the task of the proof lies on exact ebuild maintainer.
18 Georg Rudoy
19 LeechCraft — http://leechcraft.org