From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:07:00
1 Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > Resulting from discussion during last Gentoo KDE team meeting taking place 22
5 > Oct 2009 at #gentoo-meetings (summary fill be available soon), having Gentoo
6 > GNOME team representative, it's been decided to go ahead with splitting
7 > desktop profile to DE-specific subprofiles, to avoid bloat and provide desktop
8 > specific separation which should result in desktop subprofiles being actually
9 > practical.
10 > It's been proposed to:
11 >
12 > - keep 'desktop' profile but strip it from any desktop specific features and
13 > settings, making it default recommended choice for anyone using non-KDE and
14 > non-GNOME desktop environment, yet avoiding USE flags bloat. Any other DE is
15 > free to join and create own DE-specific subprofile if needed.
16 >
17 > - create 'KDE' (or 'kde') and 'GNOME' (or 'gnome') subprofiles within
18 > 'desktop' profile and move any desktop specific things there. This should in
19 > theory allow us to not add 'recommended' IUSE defaults to desktop specific
20 > packages, but keep those settings in profile - making profile effectively 'out
21 > of the box' solution for those who need it.
22 >
23 > If you have any comments, suggestions, important notices regarding this
24 > change, please keep discussion in gentoo-desktop mailing list.
25 >
26 > Thanks
29 As a user and someone who provides support on IRC regularly, I think
30 extra profiles in this manner is unnecessary complexity. At a guestimate
31 there's going to be less than 10 USE flags difference between the profiles.
32
33 (New) users already find it confusing what the differences between
34 profiles are (the number of users I've seen using a "developer" profile
35 because they do some programming, for example*) and frankly I think
36 having these extra profiles will make some users think you can only have
37 one of kde or gnome.
38
39 Why are we talking about "out of the box" with a distro that doesn't
40 even come with a pre-compile kernel? Or X installed? Gentoo isn't an
41 "out of the box" distro. If disabling use flags is considered too
42 confusing for users, maybe the entire system needs to be revised.
45 * Why is the developer profile even shown on "eselect profile"? Wouldn't
46 it be better to keep "unsupported" profiles off this list. Surely Gentoo
47 devs can cope with setting their profile manually in favor of a little
48 sanity preservation for the rest of us?