From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD : .ebuild is only bash
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 06:31:36
1 On 03/12/12 11:57, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 12 March 2012 22:37, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Ebuilds *are* bash. There isn't ever going to be a PMS labeled
4 >> xml format that is known as ebuilds... that's just pragmatic reality
5 >> since such a beast is clearly a seperate format (thus trying to call
6 >> it an 'ebuild' is dumb, confusing, and counter productive).
9 > I think this notion should be concluded before we continue debating as
10 > to how best to implement EAPI declarations.
11 >
12 > Is it really so fixed that ".ebuild" will only ever be bash ?
13 >
14 > If thats the case, then G55 ( or something similar ) is practically
15 > guaranteed as soon as we want something non-bash.
20 > --
21 > Kent
22 >
23 > perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
24 > 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"
27 I imagine that POSIX Shell is a possibility, although strict compliance
28 would mean abandoning a few extensions like the local keyword that are
29 probably rather useful in eclasses.
30
31 To make XML a viable substitute for bash, you will need to implement a
32 turing complete language in XML, which should probably preclude its use
33 in ebuilds. You would likely have better luck with a functional
34 programming language, although you are more than welcome to demonstrate
35 otherwise.