From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Bugzilla interaction guide for devs & editbugs users
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:58:32
1 On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:32:38 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 21:30:34 +0000
5 > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:47:27PM +0200, Róbert Èeròanský wrote:
8 > > > 2.3. Upstream issues
9 > > > Do not close a bug (as RESOLVED/UPSTREAM) until it is fixed by
10 > > > upstream.
11 >
12 > If the reason you propose this is visibility, then maybe we should
13 > make the quicksearch option include more than just open bugs. I've
14 > thought about having UPSTREAM/DUPLICATE/INVALID added so that
15
16 Visibility, I would say is kind of derived problem. Visible or not,
17 currently the RESOLVED/UPSTREM state does not tell whether a bug is
18 fixed (in gentoo) or not.
19
20 From a user point of view even an upstream bug is a bug in software
21 that is part of gentoo distribution and I think the right way to deal
22 with it would be to report it further to upstream by gentoo develpers,
23 and close in gentoo once fixed version gets to the tree (of course
24 users (most likely the reporter of a bug) can be asked to help and
25 report bug by themselves).
26
27 Just let bugzilla reflect the _realilty_, that's the right foundation
28 to other issues as well I think (like visibility, dependency and so
29 on). Yes we might end up with another 2500 bugs open but if that's
30 the reality then let them be. Why pretend that they arn't there?
31
32 However, to leave such bugs open as if they would be non-upstream ones
33 is probably also not a good idea. I would imagine that a developer
34 wants to see only those bugs that he can work on while on upstream
35 ones he can not do anything. Therefore we need a new state that would
36 represent "open upstream" bugs (EXPORTED/UPSTREAM perhaps).
37
38 Robert
42 Robert Cernansky
43 E-mail: hslists2@××××××.sk