From: Corvus Corax <corvus-ml@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Racing in init scripts
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:11:29
1 Am Wed, 15 Oct 2003 04:42:29 -0400
2 schrieb Eric Sammer <eric@××××××××××××.com>:
3
4 > I did find one instance where this is problematic: When using logrotate
5 > to handle log files, some apps need to be restarted to create and start
6 > logging again. In this case, one would be shooting themselves in the
7 > foot by using the init scripts in their current incarnation - your
8 > services wouldn't come back up. This would be A Very Bad Thing(tm).
9 >
10 > --
11 > Eric Sammer
12 > eric@××××××××××××.com
13 > http://www.ineoconcepts.com
16 This is Corvus Corax, I unfortunately stepped into exactly that "Very Bad Thing"(tm)
17 when porting some automatic re-connection scripts
18 (where net-dependant services had to be restarted partially)
19 to a slower machine, wher "restart" was just too fast for the services, to come down
20
21 i had to do it via "xxx stop && sleep 5 && xxx start"
22
23 the problem is, a "net.eth0 restart" for example would re-start all net - dependant services, too.
24 with a "stop -- start" they dont come up again automaticaly, so i have to handle each running service
25 manually, status confirmed as "very evil, very nasty thing" (tm)
28 CvC
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list