From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 14:58:18
1 What, if any, is the benefit of squashing /usr out of the equation? I
2 happen to have a few workstations that load their /usr off an NFS share
3 presently, with some bodgery-workarounds I did pre the udev notification
4 about initramfs's which I have never got around to implementing
5 (although I'm pretty sure I have the tools now to do, along with UUIDs
6 for boot media).
7 Whilst these aren't currently scheduled for upgrade, I don't personally
8 see any merit, given discussions here about work needed to 'shore up' a
9 change to match some particular use case. I would therefore definitely
10 agree with those that have proposed that this is an Option and not a
11 standard gentoo install item unless there are some specific caveats that
12 this solves.
13
14 Michael/veremit.
15