From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ambroz Bizjak <ambrop7@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: method of checking for cross compilation from ebuild functions
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:36:53
1 On 09/22/2012 10:14 AM, Ambroz Bizjak wrote:
2 > Yes, sysroot is much better, thanks :)
3 >
4 > So, does anyone have any objections to just having a sysroot condition
5 > and no --crosscompile or FEATURES=crosscompile?
6 >
7 > Essentially, there's still tc-is-cross-compiler, if you want the real
8 > cross-compile semantic, and sysroot conditional dependencies cover any
9 > host programs you may need within a tc-is-cross-compiler block, even
10 > though it may occasionally install stuff that is not used. But I think
11 > it's worth the reduction of complexity. (yes, tc-is-cross-compiler
12 > doesn't work at install time, but from my experience you really want
13 > the sysroot semantic there, which is available via use sysroot)
14 >
15 > If all is well, I'll proceed to implement this.
16
17 Sounds good to me. Concerning IUSE, there are a few of different ways we
18 could handle this:
19
20 1) ebuilds that utilize this flag will simply add it to IUSE
21 2) We set USE_IMPLICIT="sysroot" in profiles/base/make.defaults (applies
22 to EAPI 5 and later)
23 3) We define our HDEPEND EAPI such that "sysroot" is automatically
24 considered to be an implicit member of IUSE
25
26 You have to pick one of these, since otherwise USE conditionals
27 involving this flag will be considered as invalid. Maybe option #1 is
28 best, since that will make it easy to identify ebuilds that are known to
29 support sysroot (as long as you add "sysroot" to that _feature_flags
30 variable that I've mentioned before, it will be exempt from emerge
31 --newuse).
32 --
33 Thanks,
34 Zac