From: Ken Conroy <kennyj449@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion for future builds
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:20:51
1 I'm certain that I'm not the first to suggest this, but I think it would be
2 good for us poor dialup users to pack a 4th stage tarball, containing source
3 for the more popular and useful packages like X, KDE, GNOME, Mozilla,
4 Evolution, etc. I myself purchased a CD only to find that it gave me exactly
5 the contents of a 3rd stage tarball - and no more. If the CD had the big stuff
6 that just about everybody wants, myself included, it'd be a trivial matter for
7 me to get everything going and just ebuild the rest. Downloading the likes of
8 X, KDE, GNOME, and Mozilla over a modem, though, is HELL, especially without
9 the help of a download manager that supports resume (not sure if Portage does
10 or doesn't, but I doubt it) and moreso for us poor saps on non-PPP/SLIP
11 connections (AOL, NetZero, Juno, etc.)
12
13 In addition, it'll simplify things a lot for those who just want to pull the
14 packages via a friend's connection onto a CD, and stuff like that.
15 Saddest of all, in the time it takes to build a system on a dialup connection,
16 it's outdated.
17
19 Do you Yahoo!?
20 New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
21 http://sbc.yahoo.com