From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new-style virtual/editor
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 01:52:28
1 On Friday 05 October 2007, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-05-10 at 20:27 +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
3 > > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > How many packages depend on virtual/editor? Should it be a virtual at
5 > > > all?
6 > >
7 > > The system set depends on it, and last I knew didn't allow for any-of
8 > > deps.
9 >
10 > Does it really depend on it ? Or is it just a convenient dep so its
11 > installed as part of the stage1 ? Why not just put nano in the system
12 > (which is was gets pulled into the stages anyway).
13
14 if it's part of the "system" target, then it's a pita for people to switch
15 editors ... `emerge vim && emerge -C nano` wont work anymore
16
17 if it's part of the "build" target (meaning it goes into stage1 but isnt part
18 of "system"), then it'll get cleaned by default when doing something simple
19 like `emerge depclean`
20
21 it doesnt matter to me whether ebuilds do PROVIDE or a new style virtual,
22 whatever floats your boat i guess
23 -mike