From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE 3.4.0; reminder - there are split ebuilds
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:08:32
1 On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:09 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
2 > I am not a dev, only a user, but who uses this stuff daily - and I can
3 > see big problems on the horizon with this for the average user on less
4 > than the fastest and latest hardware. I mainly use gnome (but have kde
5 > installed), and can attest to the fact that their multi package approach
6 > sucks. You get updates that fail and block other packages and you end
7 > up with a mixed package and broken gnome (has happened numerous times) -
8 > on gnome systems I keep a fluxbox (and a kde on my main desktop) install
9 > so I dont get caught with an unusable system. Then there is the fact
10 > that updates to gentoo stable usually mean multiple gnome packages
11 > updated - rarely is it just one or two packages. Gnome has only a
12 > fraction of the packages in kde, but the disadvantages of this from a
13 > user point of view are quite plain from experience.
14
15 If you stay plain stable arch and don't switch to ~arch or back you
16 should not ever have any problems with gnome. gnome is fine as long as
17 you upgrade only.
18
19 But the general concerns regarding large chuncks of ebuilds &
20 interdependencies with the lack of 100% dependency control in portage
21 (which gives rise to most gnome's problems) were also the things we told
22 the KDE team. We did warn them about it, a lot. Gnome was designed to be
23 a lot of small chunks from source, KDE just isn't. But it is their
24 choice, maybe it works, maybe they'll find out it's a hell anyway in
25 practice (updating 300 ebuilds with such a small team to begin with,
26 SLOTing, up/downgrading, etc.).
27
28 - foser