From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:38:27
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Aron Griffis wrote:
5 > In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
6 > enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
7 > testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
8 > We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
9 > backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
10 > update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
11 > never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
12 > of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
13 > external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
14 > for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
15 > the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.
16
17 Using your list there would be two types of enterprise 'requirements':
18 process requirements and support requirements.
19
20 Improving and working towards the process requirements (sane commits,
21 better QA, etc.) doesn't mean that Gentoo would have to be any less fun.
22 And just because the Gentoo Foundation isn't in a position to provide
23 the support requirements (paid staff, support contracts, etc.) doesn't
24 mean that someone else couldn't provide those (or that Gentoo would make
25 it particularly hard to do so).
26
27 > Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
28 > users. I think that is wrong. Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
29 > It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
30 > than switching to an actually sane approach. The users are cool
31 > because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
32 > enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
33 > Sometimes they become developers. But the truth is that Gentoo sees
34 > improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
35 > developers. And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
36 > the users second.
37
38 I would suggest that:
39
40 1) this is a pretty common belief in any software developement project,
41 commercial, community led, or otherwise
42
43 2) its a bit wrong headed for various reasons, IMHO (see below)
44
45 and
46
47 3) I personally find it amusing. ;)
48
49 What developers seem to forget, is that they too are end-users. For
50 instance, a particular developer's responsibilities may be Baselayout,
51 Epm, Gentoo/Alpha, Gentoo/IA64, Keychain, Mozilla, Mutt, Vim, and such.
52 That makes him/her an end-user for everything else thats installed on
53 their system. In other words, developers are just a subset of the user base.
54
55 Secondly, polishing things for developer's sake doesn't preclude
56 polishing things for user's sake, and visa-versa.
57
58 So if it were up to me, it would be users first , which would encompass
59 everyone, including the developers!
60
61 Nathan
62