From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:02:34
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 00.33, Anthony Floyd wrote:
2 > [snip]
3 >
4 > >tony@power tony $ time emerge -S zope
5 >
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 > >real 1m23.409s
9 > >user 0m26.580s
10 > >sys 0m11.130s
11 >
12 > How important is this? Well consider the following on an "old"
13 > machine (PP200):
14 >
15 > # time emerge -S zope
16 > [snip]
17 > real 6m38.645s
18 > user 2m16.580s
19 > sys 0m10.930s
20 >
21 > So, while I agree that this pushes the bounds of patience, I don't want
22 > to be required to install MySQL or any other db engine just to run
23 > portage. I'm sure many others don't want that other. However, having
24 > an optional component, say capable of handling multiple databases and
25 > activated with USE flags ... that makes sense. Ideally, optimizing the
26 > current system without requiring a massive db engine would be better,
27 > though.
28 The problem is that the current system doesn't scale well as it is all text
29 based files. There is already caching so if you make the same query and it
30 is still in the cache things go a lot faster. It is also creating a lot of
31 unnecessary network traffic where portage isn't local to the machine. Not a
32 big issue yet most likely but it could be an issue when more media streaming
33 comes into play.
34
35 tony
36 --