From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new global use flag and a new category
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:07:54
1 On Monday 30 August 2004 04:51 am, Duncan wrote:
2 > The trouble is that's the upstream choice. From kdebase 3.3.0's
3 > ./configure --help:
4 >
5 > --enable-final build size optimized apps (experimental [...])
6 >
7 > Isn't one of the Gentoo policies to let upstream policy guide where
8 > possible in such instances? Anyone that has worked on KDE sources should
9 > instantly grok what such a use flag is about. If Gentoo calls it
10 > something else, it will IMO make things /less/ clear.
11
12 no, we have no policy on upstream naming conventions -> USE naming
13 conventions ... our policy is to make the USE flags generally clear as to
14 what their intent is
15
16 you can just as easily call it 'kde-blahblah-flag' and then run `use_enable
17 kde-blahblah-flag final` and get the same results as if you had called it
18 'final' and run `use_enable final`
19 -mike