From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 10:11:25
1 On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:36:34 +0300
2 Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > What upstream do you plan to report bugs when user possibly mixes
5 > all of it in one mess? Each of those is known to be unstable. The mix
6 > is just a disaster.
7
8 They used to do this to us and to kernel upstream before. Why? Because
9 we are unaware. The users just applied their patches, forget about them
10 when they experience problems; then they come and file a bug without
11 us knowing they do use these. Thus we'll ask for a .config and any
12 separate patches the user applied from now on.
13
14 The mix is just a disaster, but that's up to the user whether he wants
15 to go for such disaster; the patches are guarded using an experimental
16 USE flag and menu config option, if you enable both, you can't expect
17 everything to work fine. Well, maybe it does, if you sparingly enable
18 one or two patches but not all of them.
19
20 > Is gentoo's kernel team able to resolve user's OOpsen?
21
22 When patches are applied, we can ask them to try to reproduce it without
23 patches; unless, it is clear from the BUG that an experimental patch is
24 at cause. If they consistently get a BUG with a patch, we can send these
25 users to report this at the patch author; basically we act as a filter
26 before sending these reports upstream. And yes, we do try to resolve
27 some of these on our own.
28
29 > > Meet CONFIG_DEVTMPFS; forget to enable it, greet a failing boot.
30 > > We're telling users to enable it in some places, in the handbook
31 > > it's a single line you must read, on the Wiki it's kind of missing
32 > > unless you are luckily on the right page, on the Quick Install book
33 > > it is missing too.
34 >
35 > Forbid users install udev to ROOT=/ if running kernel does not
36 > support devtmpfs (easy to check by /proc/filesystems)
37
38 But udev comes as part of stage 3 tarball; so, we would have to change
39 the whole way of installing a system. I think opting to enable it by
40 default for Gentoo kernel sources is a better / less invasive approach.
43 With kind regards,
44
45 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
46 Gentoo Developer
47
48 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
49 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
50 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D