From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Why lastrite when it works? (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to retirement)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 20:51:42
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 9:13:20 AM EST Michael Mol wrote:
2 >
3 > The bigger resource drain, I suspect, will come from maintaining new ebuilds
4 > of old packages; as eclass development and maintenance seeks to eliminate
5 > old and buggy code, old ebuilds will need to be dragged along for the ride.
6
7 This is already taking place, and has since the first EAPI. I am not opposed to
8 such things, EAPI. But EAPI does lead to what I call "ebuild wheel spinning".
9 Constantly revising an ebuilds internals that may or may not produce much. May
10 not close any bugs, may not change installed files, may prevent future bugs.
11 But does create more work, and why some stuff remains behind all the way back
12 to EAPI=0.
13
14 It blows me away how some old ebuilds that should be removed, get touched and
15 improved per eclass and other changes. Or things get updated, but not the
16 package itself. Lots of work that produces very little end benefit.
17
18 Like revising patches for -p1, when they patch may apply fine now with epatch.
19 Modifying -pN of a patch is minor, but still consumes time for very little if
20 any benefit. Patch applied before, patch applies when changed to -p1. What was
21 the benefit for that time spent?
24 William L. Thomson Jr.