From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 01:12:59
1 On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 1:22 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 2019-07-20 at 23:04 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 > > On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 20:28:39 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > > On Sat, 2019-07-20 at 20:50 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
6 > > > > On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 15:25:10 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
7 > > > > > Hello,
8 > > > > >
9 > > > > > The QA team would like to introduce the following policy:
10 > > > > >
11 > > > > > """
12 > > > > > Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags (e.g.
13 > > > > > USE=man or USE=doc). If upstream does not ship prebuilt manpages
14 > > > > > and building them requires additional dependencies, the maintainer
15 > > > > > should build them and ship along with the package.
16 > > > > > """
17 > > > > >
18 > > > > >
19 > > > > > Explanatory note:
20 > > > > >
21 > > > > > This applies to having USE flags that specifically control building
22 > > > > > manpages. It obviously does not affect:
23 > > > > >
24 > > > > > a. USE flags that disable building both a program and its manpage (e.g.
25 > > > > > if USE=gui disables building gfrobnicate, not installing gfrobnicate(1)
26 > > > > > is correct),
27 > > > > >
28 > > > > > b. use of LINGUAS to control installed manpages.
29 > > > > >
30 > > > > >
31 > > > > > Rationale:
32 > > > > >
33 > > > > > Manpages are the basic form of user documentation on Gentoo Linux. Not
34 > > > > > installing them is harmful to our users. On the other hand, requiring
35 > > > > > additional dependencies is inconvenient. Therefore, packaging prebuilt
36 > > > > > manpages (whenever upstream doesn't do that already) is a good
37 > > > > > compromise that provides user with documentation without additional
38 > > > > > dependencies.
39 > > > > >
40 > > > > >
41 > > > > > What are your comments?
42 > > > >
43 > > > > The basic foundation of Gentoo is freedom of choise for our users.
44 > > > > If installing man pages means no additional dependencies, than
45 > > > > proposed rule is ok. However if such dependencies are required it is
46 > > > > up to users to decide if they wan them or not.
47 > > > >
48 > > > > Having USE=man (or USE=doc) for such purposes is fine. Having
49 > > > > USE=man enabled by default in user profile is also fine. Forcing
50 > > > > users to install unnecessary dependencies on minimal systems in a
51 > > > > no go and turns Gentoo into something else.
52 > > > >
53 > > >
54 > > > Could you please read the proposed policy? It explicitly says you are
55 > > > *not* supposed to force extra deps on users but build manpages for them.
56 > >
57 > > Could you please what the other developers have already replied to
58 > > you on this matter? This will be a significant increase in
59 > > maintenance burden for both developers and advanced users without
60 > > much to gain.
63 > Yes, I get it. User experience is not important if it would mean
64 > developers would actually do anything but the bare minimum to get
65 > from one paycheck to another. The usual Gentoo attitude.
66
67 I don't understand your reaction, but it's very common with
68 predictable steps to generate it:
69
70 1) You make a proposal
71 2) People offer feedback and ask questions
72 3) You respond combatively (or not at all), as if you are upset that
73 people perhaps are not 100% aligned with your view.
74
75 ... which honestly shouldn't be at all unexpected and is precisely why
76 requesting comments on a proposal is valuable.
77
78 My question earlier in the thread is relevant and still unaddressed.