From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RANT: Upgrade icu and KDE at once
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:51:53
1 Well, here we go again! Again an update of Gentoo stable where emerge tries
2 to upgrade icu and KDE in one run (and this time additionally libreoffice).
3
4 Other essential libraries (e.g. libpng) can always be updated, because the
5 ebuild preserves the old shared libs and let me run revdep-rebuild against
6 the old ones afterwards. Not so icu. The ebuild happily removes any trace of
7 the old shared libs with the result that half of the stuff that is
8 *required* to build kdelibs is now broken. The build aborts and leaves
9 behind a broken system. And this happened now not for the first time!
10
11 The lengthly procedure is now to hard mask the new icu version, update your
12 system (incl. automatic icu downgrade, kde and libreoffice upgrade), drop
13 the mask and upgrade anything again, run revdep-rebuild and compile again a
14 lot of big KDE packages (and this time inclding libreoffice).
15
16 The most annoying fact is, that none of this would have been necessary with
17 portage 2.2, but maybe we have to wait for 2.1.11.500 before 2.2 gets
18 stable...
19
20 - Jörg