From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dying on some CFLAGS instead of filtering them.
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:13:18
1 On Monday 10 July 2006 15:20, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > Denis Dupeyron wrote:
3 > > This, for me, triggers 3 questions that are gentoo-dev@ material :
4 > >
5 > > 1) Should all ebuilds that currently filter --fast-math die on its
6 > > presence instead of filtering it ?
7 >
8 > I don't think we should die on anything, if a user wants a particular
9 > CFLAG, generally the default should be to let them use it. A warning
10 > with a pause may also suffice.
11
12 So what do we do for openoffice, which breaks when python was compiled with
13 fast-math (probably breaking python's math functions). Do we really want to
14 add filters for stupid flags? For me the choise has only two viable options.
15 1) Completely ignoring the flag; 2) Dieing when it occurs.
16
17 I'm affraid that the usage of -ffast-math is that common that option 1 creates
18 too many false bug reports. As such we choose to die on it to protect
19 ourselves. It prevents us from diagnosing PEBKAC bugs manually.
20
21 Paul
24 Paul de Vrieze
25 Gentoo Developer