From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:44:17
1 John Levine, author of "The Internet For Dummies," once set up a robo-moderation
2 process for the Usenet newsgroup soc.religion.unitarian-univ
3 (Unitarian Universalists).
4 The group, along with most of Usenet, ultimately "died" due to lack of
5 attention from
6 the moderators, who failed to curb one of their own.
7
8 However, the robo-moderator worked quite well, and still is
9 technically in-place. The
10 first post by a person generated an email to the poster to verify the
11 email addres,
12 and required the poster to reply with a confirmation. The posts then
13 went through
14 without anyone having to approve or whilelist things. If a poster subsequently
15 became a "problem" their postings could be placed in a moderation
16 required status,
17 and some human would evelute the posts and handle the quelling of off-topic or
18 flame generating posts. In extreme cases, posters could be banned for
19 varying periods
20 of time.
21
22 The programs where quite powerful, and amazingly simple and elegant to implent.
23 The source is available, and should be easily adapted for practically
24 any system with
25 bash shell hook capabilities. The infra team might want to look at
26 that code and try
27 something like it. Some addresses can be injected at setup time requiring human
28 action before posts are approved (Rejected posts would be sent back to the perp
29 requesting re-writing or abandoning.
30
31 The moderators did not have to login anywhere to work with the bot,
32 all interactions
33 were done via email. The system is/was quite nice, and my mangled memories
34 should not be the deciding factors when looking at it.
35
36 Such a system might well serve as a means of allowing fully free entry into the
37 list, while still providing the ability to control things if it gets
38 out of hand.
39