From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: USE=multislot, xDEPEND-syntax in SLOT and Slot dependencies [Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] some global useflags]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:40:57
1 I'm deliberately starting a new thread here, because this is meandering
2 well off the original topic of the global useflag proposals.
3
4 On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 02:18:16AM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > There are also other issues, e.g. it breaks the generation of the
6 > @installed package set as the installed slots can't be found in the
7 > tree. As portage-2.2 makes increased use of slot atoms internally for
8 > vdb handling we got a few bugreports simply due to the cache constraint
9 > violation by USE=multislot.
10 Ok, I found bug #174184 on this matter.
11
12 kugelfang proposed to include this in EAPI=1, but I don't find it in
13 there, what happened?
14
15 The short-term fix of use.mask just stops current breakage, but we need
16 a real solution so that we can keep using it where we actually need it.
17
18 Ignoring Vapier's tirade against ciaranm there, we need the
19 xDEPEND-syntax for SLOTS as the real solution, however that still
20 wouldn't resolve the portion that has CTARGET as part of the SLOT, since
21 metadata generated on the rsyncmaster with a different CTARGET wouldn't
22 match on the clients.
23
24 I'm also wondering about a bad interaction with slot dependencies even
25 without having CTARGET:
26 Say gcc has two variants, SLOT=3.4 and SLOT=3.4.5.
27 The language in the approved version of PMS (section 9.2.5) states: "A
28 specification with a named slot dependency matches only if the slot of
29 the matched package is squal to ths lot specified."
30
31 So if package foo/bar-1.0 contains DEPEND="sys-devel/gcc:3.4" it
32 wouldn't match the other variant of gcc with SLOT=3.4.5 :-(.
35 Robin Hugh Johnson
36 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
37 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
38 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85