From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert <redbully@×××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev coldplugging and /etc/init.d/modules
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 08:06:49
1 On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:56:59AM +0100, Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert wrote:
2 > OK, then maybe someone knows how to get ALSA-Devices in an persistent
3 > ordering with udev-rules?
4 > I was unable to find it out by my self, the documentation is a little
5 > sparse on this IMHO...
6
7 Just figure out something unique for your sound devices, and create some
8 rules like the other persistent rule generators do. PCI device id
9 perhaps?
10
11 If you have problems with this, try asking on the linux-hotplug-devel
12 mailing list. The people there can help you out. It would be good to
13 have some rules for sound devices like this, as you aren't the first to
14 ask about it.
15
16 > udev-coldplug bite me with my 2 soundcards (one onboard, one PCI). They
17 > are randomly ordered on every reboot. I don't care which /dev/snd/*
18 > names they get, ALSA uses them, the times of 'cat /dev/urandom >
19 > /dev/dsp' are long gone. I *care* about, which device is snd-card-0 and
20 > 1, which is hw0 and hw1, and which device gets bound to 'default'.
21
22 Yeah, I have a box around here like that too :(
23
24 > Interestingly with the old coldplug the devices always had the same
25 > order and (by accident? or /etc/modules.d/alsa?) the right.
26
27 PCI device order is usually quite stable, unless you start to use PCI
28 hotplug, or change cards, or update your BIOS. If you did any of that,
29 then it would start to get unpredictable.
30
31 thanks,
32
33 greg k-h