From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Identifying inherit-only / usable profiles
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:11:57
1 Ed Grimm posted <Pine.LNX.4.60.0412052148100.5557@×××××××.iarg>, excerpted
2 below, on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:59:17 +0000:
3
4 > It seems to me that maintaining the valid list should be more
5 > work than maintaining the invalid list, and if the reverse is true,
6 > there is a problem in the way we are maintaining profiles.
7 >
8 > Semantics can be argued either way; I personally feel the unix return
9 > code is the best metaphor - there's one success code, but many failure
10 > codes. A profile can be supported, unsupported, deprecated, incomplete,
11 > or broken. There's quite possibly a number of other states as well.
12
13 FWIW, as a user...
14
15 I like your error code metaphor, but would favor a single file with
16 status, valid or form of invalid, with a specific error code if the file
17 isn't there at all.
18
19 The reasoning is this. One can never tell where a user is going to point
20 the symlink. What if it points to /usr, for instance.
21
22 Having a single status file allows portage a far more intelligent error
23 than the current 'Is there a symlink at all and is it pointed to a valid
24 location?' error. We can then have multiple error codes fitting the
25 situation:
26
27 0/valid
28
29 These would be various not a valid symlink errors
30
31 101/no /etc/make.profile symlink
32 102/file or dir, not symlink
33 103/symlink points to non-existent file/dir
34 104/symlink points to file, not dir
35 105/incomplete, no status file, is this a portage profile dir?
36
37 201/Status file present but profile incomplete due to lack of other info
38
39 And the following warnings, overridable with an appropriate switch, for
40 testing, or temp use of a a depreciated profile, for instance
41
42 501/masked as known-broken, unsupported
43 502/masked for testing, unsupported
44 503/masked as depreciated, unsupported, message points to recommended
45 upgrade
46
47 Of course, the error code numbers would be adjusted to fit portages
48 current error code structure.
52 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
53 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
54 Benjamin Franklin
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list