From: Kim Bratlie <eonic@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "running *short* on DMA" with gentoo 1.2 whereas gentoo 1.1a is OK
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:51:03
1 > I am trying to install gentoo-i686-1.2.iso and while executing mke2fs
2 > on a 12GB SCSI partition I get :
3 >
4 > Writing superblocks and filesystem accouting information: Warning -
5 > running *really* short on DMA buffers
6 > Warning - running *really* short on DMA buffers
7 > Warning - running *really* short on DMA buffers
8 > ...
9 > etc.
10
11 I have this problem too when using my SCSI burner.. my harddrives are apparently working fine, so far.
14 > The same command doesn't output any warning on gentoo-i686-1.1a.iso.
15 > The gentoo 1.2 kernel flavor is surely the cause. To be more precise, it
16 > is maybe the "Adaptec AIC7xxx" driver revision : 6.2.5 on 1.1a vs 6.2.6
17 > on 1.2.
20 I'm also using the adaptec aic7xxx driver.. gentoo 1.3a (was the same on 1.1a and 1.2)
21 I second your opinion that it is a problem related to linux/gentoo/aic7xxx because not long ago I had windows installed and there were no problems at all.. do you have SMP as well by any chance? VIA chipset?
22
23 I had redhat/mandrake running for a while too, but I did not test those as well as I have tested gentoo (I love gentoo) so I cannot say if the problem existed on those distro's, but I'm 100% certain is was alright on winblows.
24
25 Tried damn many things, changed pci slots, removed cards, compiled different kernels, changed the burner's settings, changed the harddrives settings.. nothing has any impact, I firmly believe it is a software issue.. I have put together computers for about 12 years now, I like to think that I know something about the hardware now and I firmly believe it is a software issue.
26
27 I've been told some have had trouble with the grease inside their cd-rom's vaporizing or accumulating too much dust, I guess I'll take a look inside it as a last resort, but I doubt that lack of grease is the cause.
28
29 My burner is very new.
30
31 - Kim