From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Gentoo binary package container format
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 21:14:04
1 On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 11:45:54AM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > We agree it is hackish, and we agree we can do without. You simply
3 > exaggerate the problem, IMO, which mostly isn't there, because it works
4 > fine today. It can also be solved today using shell tools.
5
6 I am sad that you don't see it as a productivity impediment that the
7 user is required to know the custom tooling to do even such a trivial
8 non-standard action as manual extraction.
9
10 Maybe I will make myself look bad by admitting this, but I'm not meeting
11 your expectations. I use Gentoo for ~11 years, and for about one year I
12 am using my private binpkgs distributed to all my machines (i.e. I have
13 read binary package guide fair number of times, but I stopped rereading
14 it when I satisfied my needs). When in need, I still reached to trusty
15 tar, and I did not even know what are the names of special tools (a
16 toolchain?) qtbz2 and qxpak.
17
18 Just few days ago I messed with binpkgs for investigation purpose. I
19 just wanted to extract few to somewhere (definitely not into system
20 root), and read a core dump with GDB asking it to use those extracted
21 files for debug symbols.
22
23 Of course I used `tar xaf`, because what I know is that it's honest tbz2
24 just with metadata appended.
25
26 # tar xaf boost-1.65.0.tbz2
27
28 bzip2: (stdin): trailing garbage after EOF ignored
29
30 Exit code is 0.
31 But the notice is annoying (on subconscious level), because Silence Is
32 Golden - "when a program has nothing interesting or surprising to say,
33 it should shut up".
34
35 > % head -c `grep -abo 'XPAKPACK' $EPREFIX/usr/portage/packages/sys-apps/sed-4.5.tbz2 | sed 's/:.*$//'` $EPREFIX/usr/portage/packages/sys-apps/sed-4.5.tbz2 | tar -jxf -
36 >
37 > results in no warnings/errors from bzip about trailing garbage, possible
38 > thanks to the spec being smart enough about this.
39
40 Thanks, this is a very concise **custom tool** to handle current binpkg
41 format.
42
43 > Not having to do this, when under stress and pressure to restore a
44 > system to get it back into production, is a plus. Though, in that
45 > scenario the trailing garbage warning wouldn't have been that bad
46 > either.
47
48 When understress and pressure, the irrelevant warning is not bad?
49 I am sure it is really bad for operator's attention.