From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Automatic ebuild stabilization
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:22:40
1 This was brought up in a forum post a few days ago, and someone
2 suggested I check here about it.
3
4 My understanding of the portage system is that when an ebuild is made
5 and is determined to be stable enough, it is put into ~arch for testing.
6 Once it's been there for a while, and there are no major problems, it
7 gets manually bumped to arch.
8
9 My experience with Debian tells me that they do things differently. When
10 a package is stable enough, it goes into Unstable (our ~arch) for
11 testing. After a certain amount of time (a few weeks, I believe),
12 without any serious bugs filed against it (and no dependency issues,
13 etc.), it is automatically moved to Testing (our arch).
14
15 It seems like their system is more efficient, since it doesn't rely on
16 someone manually deciding that it's time to push $package to stable.
17
18 Is there a reason for this, or has this been considered?
22 Joel Konkle-Parker
23 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]
24
25 E-mail [jjk3@×××××××.edu]