From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Automatic ebuild stabilization
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:22:40
This was brought up in a forum post a few days ago, and someone
suggested I check here about it.

My understanding of the portage system is that when an ebuild is made
and is determined to be stable enough, it is put into ~arch for testing.
Once it's been there for a while, and there are no major problems, it
gets manually bumped to arch.

My experience with Debian tells me that they do things differently. When
a package is stable enough, it goes into Unstable (our ~arch) for
testing. After a certain amount of time (a few weeks, I believe),
without any serious bugs filed against it (and no dependency issues,
etc.), it is automatically moved to Testing (our arch).

It seems like their system is more efficient, since it doesn't rely on
someone manually deciding that it's time to push $package to stable.

Is there a reason for this, or has this been considered?

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]

E-mail     [jjk3@×××××××.edu]