From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LAMP Server beauty contest: server monitoring
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 01:09:44
1 On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 09:41:08PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Please reply to the list naming your favourite tool for this job, and why.
3 Ok, something is not clear here at all.
4
5 Do you intend to provide all statistics via SNMPd (writing agents to
6 provide the data that net-snmp doesn't provide directly),
7 OR are you asking about tools that can track data over time, with SNMP
8 being a supported data source?
9
10 I'm interested in solutions to both of these two separate items.
11
12 If your seeds can provide SNMP access to all of the data from the system
13 (after you write the extra agent scripts) - that would help hugely in
14 integrating them into existing data tracking and monitoring.
15
16 For tracking of data, I'm a fan of Munin, as it provides a significantly
17 simpler interface than cacti, and also offers more security with it's
18 separation of privileges.
21 Robin Hugh Johnson
22 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
23 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85