From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Per-Category metadata.xml Files
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:59:44
1 On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 20:21 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | > The ``<herd>`` and ``<maintainer>`` elements are not generally
3 > | > relevant at the category level.
4 > |
5 > | If they are, can they be used?
6 >
7 > The DTD says they can be. Or, at least, I see no reason to impose
8 > additional restrictions saying that they can't. I wouldn't consider them
9 > an appropriate substitute for per-package metadata, however.
10
11 I honestly wouldn't mind seeing inheritance allowed at some point in the
12 future, but I also understand the amount of additional work that would
13 entail and would much rather get this implemented in its current form,
14 than to hold it up waiting for all the necessary tools be updated to
15 support inheritance. It definitely would be cool, though. It would end
16 up making the tree smaller, as many packages (again, I'll use games-* as
17 an example) wouldn't need a metadata.xml, at all. Then there are
18 packages like ut2004-*, which could inherit the metadata from ut2004.
21 Chris Gianelloni
23 Games - Developer
24 Gentoo Linux